Subject: Re: placement of PFIL_HOOKS filtering points
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/08/2000 08:03:18
In some email I received from Jonathan Stone, sie wrote:
> In message <20001107120318.C498@dr-evil.z.zembu.com>Jason R Thorpe writes
> >On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 12:01:53PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >
> > > Dawson Engler's DPF does this; is there reason not to use that, or at
> > > least leverage heavily off i9t?
> >
> >Point me at a paper about it, please.  Note that I am intending to make
> >these features an integral part of BPF at some point.
>
> SIGCOMM '96.  a more complete description is at:
> http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~engler/dpf.html

That was something I tried to mention to you on icb, before you started
on this, Jason, and which you obviously ignored as you and Chris seemed
intent on "reinventing the wheel".

I'm not sure that DPF is what you want to do with BPF - typically a BPF
filter is "compiled" and put in place as a static filter for a program
such as dhcpd, rarpd, etc.  DPF is more than just "covert opcodes into
machine code".

Darren