Subject: Re: placement of PFIL_HOOKS filtering points
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/07/2000 16:25:24
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 08:03:18AM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:

 > I'm not sure that DPF is what you want to do with BPF - typically a BPF
 > filter is "compiled" and put in place as a static filter for a program
 > such as dhcpd, rarpd, etc.  DPF is more than just "covert opcodes into
 > machine code".

I'm merely using BPF as the packet matching engine.  I have a string
of BPF programs which each get a crack at the packet until one of them
returns TRUE.

It's these small BPF programs that I want to compile into object code
after running them through the validator.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>