Subject: Re: Recommendation for wirelass equipment required
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jeff Smith <jeffs@geocast.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/21/2000 10:34:36
Martin Husemann wrote:
> Yes, but (at least when I looked) at a price where I prefered to get single
> parts and get another (old) i386 instead of the base station. Which had
> additional benefits in my concrete setup, and as soon as "small" or "silent"
> get more important, your mileage will vary.

It costs $85 more to use the lucent base station I guess.  A friend
could not get the Cisco/Aironet card connecting in ad hoc mode to
a NetBSD computer with a lucent card.  Do not know what OS was running
on the Cisco card.  I have the lucent base station working well with
encryption to a NetBSD laptop.  The apple airport worked well but
no encryption and I didn't have a Mac to maintain the config.

jeffs