Subject: Re: performance under packet loss
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/09/2000 20:47:01
On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 05:55:39PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> A friend of mine did a study on the subject where he compared different
> operating systems and how well they perform in an environment with
> packet loss. The bottom line is that linux performed much better.
>
> I put up the report at http://www.cs.hut.fi/~pooka/finalreport.ps.gz

I've read it on my way home. It is certainly true that we don't have SACK.

However, that we perform worse even than Linux without SACK, isn't
necessarily true. Their network loss simulator simulated constant
loss rate, but I'd expect, even on partially shared medium networks
like 802.11 and friends, a loss rate that depends on channel load.

Linux with its more aggressive retransmission (which the authors acknowledge)
would lead to higher effective loss rates and worse overall performance
(although not necessarily worse performance of the Linux connection).

Regards,
	Ignatios