Subject: Re: 802.1Q & ETHER_MAX_LEN
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/02/2000 12:45:21
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Does it actually exist cards that can't handle packets >1518 bytes??
> Maybe older cards can't. I'm not sure hubs or ethernet bridges will do it.

My information (from a book by Rich Seifert, who was active in the
relevant IEEE committees) is that the IEEE 802.1Q committee did a
survey of existing equipment and found that all known hubs and bridges
would support larger frames.  Then the 802.3 committee revised the
standard to allow larger frames provided the extra was used only for
VLAN tags.

--apb (Alan Barrett)