Subject: Re: dhclient/dhcp and dynamically-inserted interfaces?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/30/2000 17:19:38
On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 10:14:04AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Here's a question: Say I pop a pc-card into a laptop running
> NetBSD (1.5-ALPHA2 or -current).  If dhclient dhclient [or dhcp] is
> already running, will it notice the new interface and solicit [or
> respond] for an IP address?
>
> If not, what's the best way, short-to-medium term,to make them (or
> other apps) do so?  Listen on the routing socket for messages
> indicating new interfaces, or what?
>
> Yes, I know there've been discussions about various kenel-to-user
> event notification mechanisms for years; I'd like to work on that
> sometime, but I need something  now-ish...

Hum, there's a '-w' flag that may do what you want, but it's not clear
that it's going to find the new interface by itself.
The man page mention a dhcpccp program that could be used to notify
dhclient that an interface has been added or removed, but it seems it's not
installed on NetBSD, and I didn't find it in the 1.5 sources :(

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>