Subject: Re: Needing help with preventing IP theft
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/11/2000 12:54:51
wrstuden@zembu.com (Bill Studenmund) writes:
> Someone has taken to stealing my DSL IP address. I'm not sure if it's
> malicious or someone just misconfigured the computer, but I need it to
> stop.

At one point someone (Vernon Schryver??) mentioned that SGI's would
defend their turf rather aggressively if someone tried to arp their IP
away.

I think I've actually seen something like that in action when some
twit on the athome fremont ether tried to steal the IP of the gateway.
The gateway and the interluder were having a high-rate shouting
contest, each one trying to have the last word as to who's IP it
really was.

Perhaps netbsd needs to be a bit more aggressive at defending its turf?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/