Subject: Needing help with preventing IP theft
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/11/2000 11:31:56
Someone has taken to stealing my DSL IP address. I'm not sure if it's
malicious or someone just misconfigured the computer, but I need it to
stop.

My setup is bridged ethernet DSL. So someone else in my little /26 net
ifconfigs an interface and the arp announce overwrites the arp entry for
me.

I've found that ifconfig iface delete; ifconfig iface addr netmask
255.255.255.192 gets me back my IP, but it breaks all of the existing
connections I have. I'd rather find another way to generate the arp
announce. :-)

I asked on icb about programs to help, and Charles mentioned arpwatch with
the caveat that it only watches. Well that's half the battle. :-)

Does someone know of a program which will generate an arp announcement
when run? That's all I need to fight back..

Take care,

Bill