Subject: Re: Coax sizes for 'thicknet' type Ethernet
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/29/2000 21:55:45
[ On Saturday, July 29, 2000 at 18:49:08 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Coax sizes for 'thicknet' type Ethernet
>
> Not all AUI devices attach to coaxial cable; I have three that
> terminate in RJ45-type connectors (10baseT)...and of those that do use
> coaxial cable, not all use 10base5 co-ax; I have a few more AUI devices
> that have 10base2 ("thinnet") connectors.  And yes, I've seen several
> that attach to 10base5 co-ax too.
>
> This note is largely another attempt to keep people from confusing AUI
> with thicknet.

Indeed!  I've even got an AUI MAU!  ;-)  (i.e. a unit with a bunch of
cross-over AUI ports for attaching AUIs to each other with no coax or
twisted pair cables -- sort of like a multi-port transceiver, and indeed
that may be how it's designed internally but there's no coax or UTP port
on it -- just one "uplink" non-cross-over AUI port to which one can
attach a normal transceiver of choice)

One thing I haven't learned about Ethernet yet is whether or not 100mb/s
Ethernet allows for AUI connectors, and if it does whether anyone makes
any equipment with 100mb/s AUI ports, etc.  (I would rather hope it
doesn't, especially given the confusion mentioned above!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods