Subject: Re: IEEE 802.3
To: jenny xie <xiejenny@hotmail.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/28/2000 13:35:37
> I have a question about IEEE 802.3.  What three Network Operating
> Systems (NOSs) can be used in an IEEE 802.3 environment?

This sounds like an exam question.  Suspiciously like one, I'd say,
though late July is not what I normally think of as exam season.

Practically any OS these days is networkable, and most of them are
capable of using 802.3 or some slight variant thereof; the question is
unanswerable without knowing what qualifies as a Network Operating
System (as far as I can tell, the term is little but a buzzword).

There most certainly are more than three network-capable operating
systems.  Even if you use very broad categories, like lumping all UNIX
variants together, I can name five widely different classes: Windows,
MacOS, UNIX, VMS, DOS (though DOS is arguable, since AFAIK no DOS
variant is networkable out of the box).  There are doubtless others
that don't come readily to my mind.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca