Subject: Re: kern/10500: eon driver
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/06/2000 13:51:20
On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> executive summary: eon is horribly broken when given an address of
> 0.0.0.0, requires some work, and, unless someone wants to spend a
> bunch of time rewriting it, we should just comment it out of the
> GENERIC configs on all ports.

I think we should disable eon, but for another reason - it will take
addresses for protocol families it doesn't support. netatalk will, by
default, attach itself to all broadcast interfaces. Because of how eon is
configured, netatalk will try to add an appletalk address to it, and to
probe for other servers. The eon driver doesn't support that, and panics.

So let's turn off eon by default. Just adding a "#" in front is fine.

Take care,

Bill