Subject: Re: Sendmail 8.9.3 and mailertable mis-behavior
To: Medi Montaseri <medi@sanlight.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/23/2000 05:59:54
    Date:        Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:39:08 -0700
    From:        Medi Montaseri <medi@sanlight.net>

  | Further in my /etc/mail/mailertable I have
  |
  | abc.com	   esmtp:mail.abc.com
  |
  | I have re-hashed it (read later why not dbm format) and
  | I still see sendmail is using DNS mx records, yielding errors.

To avoid use of MX records completely, make that be

	abc.com		esmtp:[mail.abc.com]

  | My understanding was mailertable should override what DNS says so
  | mush as routing is concern.

It does, or should, but sendmail would do an MX lookup on mail.abc.com
the way you have it.

  | What Rule-sets do I run to check this out...

3,0 - but that won't tell you how the final domain name will be
processed, just how the addresses will be decoded.  That will
let you to see that your database is being used the way you want though.

  | As for why not dbm, when I run 'makemap dbm' I get an error message
  | from makemap(1) saying that dbm is not supported in this version.
  | So why did NetBSD Gods include that as the default in sendmail.cf
  | is beyond me.

History...

kre