Subject: Mitchell Blank Jr: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@solidum.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/12/2000 18:14:07
--Multipart_Mon_Jun_12_18:14:05_2000-1

  I forward this rather well written message.

  It kind of sums up the thinking in the Linux world wrt. VLANs and network
code in general.

  The summary, as I understand it so far is:

  One camp argues that VLANs should appear as real interfaces so that
everything just works. (I agree with this!)

  The other camp (Jes, Jamal) feels that this will break all sorts of code
that assumes that the number of interfaces is small and can be looked through
in a linear search. Further, that VLAN output code should be IPv4 specific...

  Perhaps this will all get hashed out at the Ottawa Linux Symposium this
July. If you are going to be there, there will be a number of more
"enlightened" people there.

--Multipart_Mon_Jun_12_18:14:05_2000-1

Delivery-Date: Mon Jun 12 14:50:16 2000