Subject: Re: connection/channel oriented network protocol
To: Johan Rydberg <johan.rydberg@netinsight.se>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/17/2000 14:38:59
    Johan> I will implementing a network protocol stack in NetBSD 1.4.2,
    Johan> and want to have some points where I should start.

    Johan> The network technology is channel (and connection) oriented.
    Johan> To be able to send any data on the network, a channel has to
    Johan> be created first.

    Johan> When creating a channel alot of information has to be specified,
    Johan> such as the bandwidth and destination host.  This data must be
    Johan> supplied to the device driver.

  It seems to me that you ought to create a new sockaddr* type to store
all of this and that you should use them in the connect()/bind() calls.
  If you need to change things mid-stream, then setsockopt() would be
appropriate.

  What is your specific media that you are targetting?

] Unlike this plane, the train features AC, and better seats    |  firewalls  [