Subject: Re: if_iqdrops deprecated?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Castor Fu <castor@geocast.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/17/2000 15:48:22
> In message <200005172152.OAA16999@Gregorio.Stanford.EDU>"Kevin Lahey" writes
> >In message <Pine.NEB.4.10.10005171343170.378-100000@swamp.sfo.geocast.net>,
> >"Castor Fu" writes:
> >>Is the use of if_iqdrops to keep track of dropped input packets
> >>deprecated?
>
> Weird. Just yesterday I ran into what looks like a bug in someone's
> TCP, possibly related to input queue overflows in NetBSD.  I needed to
> check per-interface drops and realized I coudln't coudln't find
> anything from it...

I'm actually thinking of something different -- rather than looking
at when the protocol stack doesn't have space available, I
was wondering about recording when a NIC detects that it has dropped packets
because buffers were not available.

I'm looking at problems with the macronix 98715AEC-C and the tulip
driver.  I'm having some problems at 100 megabit, and find that
that occasionally input errors result in the receive buffers filling
up during the kernel printf.  There's a register which will tell
me how many frames were dropped, and I was wondering where I should
stuff this info.

	-castor