Subject: Re: Ye olde PR #991 - packets destined for interface IP# are accepted regardless of which interface they arrive on.
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/06/2000 16:32:32
    Andrew> i'll grant you that, but it's still much harder to break a proxy so
    Andrew> that it accidentally forwards every connection attempt.  packet
    Andrew> filters can be easily broken (by clueless personnel) such that they
    Andrew> *do* forward too much.

  Yes, I agree completely. However, they promote NAT (BlackHole was the
first proxy based firewall that gave you option not to do NAT), and they
totally kill IPsec. I've repented, since I like IPsec more than I like
proxies :-)

    Andrew> your rules are supposed to distinguish between what needs to local and
    Andrew> what needs to be forwarded.  i thought that was the idea...

  Yes, they do. it is a pain.

  I want to write a rule for inbound and outbound connections (at the UDP/TCP
layer... they already have all the state that they need), and seperate
stateful rules for each possible forwarding direction.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [