Subject: Re: loopback routes
To: None <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/06/2000 14:30:53
In some email I received from Andrew Brown, sie wrote:
> >>sorry, i didn't really go into that yet.  i wanted to create a "null"
> >>network interface, similar to that which one might find on a cisco.
> >>useful for blackhole routing, ipfiltering (yes, really!), etc.
> >
> >	for example, is this insufficient for your goal?
> >	# route add -inet 10.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 -reject
>
> okay, that'll blackhole the packets, but i wanna sniff 'em.

If you really want to do this, a null connector*/teriminator for a UTP port,
get yourself a cheap networking card and send packets out that interface
using ipfilter and hardwired IP#/MAC.  ARP information in place, they'll
get sent out the interface to nothing.

Darren

* - I've one of these...basically get one RJ45, and wire tx-rx, etc.