Subject: Re: multiple processors on NFS servers
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@marconicomms.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/13/2000 12:40:20
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Unfortunately, I've had some fairly negative experiences with NetBSD as
> a heavily-used NFS server, and significantly worse ones with FreeBSD.  The
> only really good NFS out there that you can run on your fileserver built
> from a PCseems to be Sun's.  I strongly recommend Solaris 8 (which comes
> with a number of features that accellerate NFS) with DiskSuite's metadata
> logging as an NFS server.

DiskSuite docs say that metadata logging can become slow if
the logging fills up. Did you experience this? Or was this a bug
in DiskSuite 4.2 on Solaris 7 which is fixed in Solaris 8/DiskSuite
4.2.1?
Does using metadata logging on Raid 5 accelerate NFS?

I am just configuring a E450 with a couple of internal HDs
as an NFS server, so any experience is appreciated :-)
(And yes, I do have GigaBit Ethernet and two CPUs and 1GB-RAM)

Sorry for being a bit off-topic ...

Thanx,

  Guenther