Subject: Re: named hostname-lookup rate on NetBSD?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/10/2000 11:32:15
    Jonathan> Anyone know what hostname lookup rate (after local caching)
    Jonathan> named on NetBSD can support?  On say, a 500Mhz Pentium-3?

    Jonathan> Right now my test platform is (for arcane reasons) running
    Jonathan> FreeBSD-3.4.  With about 500 client threads, named-8.2.2-P5
    Jonathan> maxes out at about 60 requests/sec. At that rate, named uses
    Jonathan> about 85% of the CPU time, with the clients using what's left.

  How many names do you expect to cache? How much ram do you have? Are
you swapping?

  As named is not (to my knowledge) multithreaded yet, I guess the second CPU
capability of FreeBSD won't help much.

    Jonathan> I was hoping to resolve about 150 host lookups/sec.

    Jonathan> Anyone know how NetBSD (1.4.2 or -current) would do?  Same,
    Jonathan> better, or worse?

  I would imagine about the same.

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [