Subject: Re: question about identifying a name server
To: Roger Fischer <rogerf1@mac.com>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/08/2000 01:20:45
Roger Fischer wrote:

>Here's where it's weird.  The name server is up and running fine, but my
>MacBSD box won't use it.  If I do an nslookup, it skips it and goes to the
>second one in my resolv.conf, but if I force it to that server it works
>fine.  Does it matter that I'm running a made up name for my local network?
>(is bind trying to do a reverse lookup on my 192.168.x.x network?)

nslookup won't use a nameserver unless it can do the reverse lookup.
Other programs don't behave this way, so `ping foo' will ask the
first guy on the list.  dnsquery is another bind command like
nslookup, but it doesn't require that the nameserver reverse resolve.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==