Subject: Re: stressing the network ...
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/06/2000 01:13:43
    Date:        Sun, 05 Mar 2000 14:30:09 +0900
    From:        itojun@iijlab.net

  | 	Does the following steps make difference?
  | 	1. disable IPv6 (remove "options INET6) and IPsec, and
  | 	2. change the value of MINCLSIZE from (MHLEN + 1) to (MHLEN + MLEN + 1)
  | 	3. build a new kernel
  | 	4. try the same test

Did all that (other than deleting IPSEC, which was already deleted).
It doesn't appear to have made any difference - the test is running now,
and netstat -m is showing ...

588 mbufs in use:
        468 mbufs allocated to data
        114 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        6 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
331700/256 mapped pages in use
624 Kbytes allocated to network (-1232% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
4797 calls to protocol drain routines

-1232% looks much better than 1100% (approx)

There have only been 4 mclpool limit reached warnings this time (so far).
I'm also running less clients at the minute (10 or 11 instead of 15).

kre