Subject: Re: kern/9085: enabling RFC1323 support causes some TCP connectionsto stall
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@logictier.com>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@grc.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/01/2000 14:39:48
> I'm with you there!  Window scaling has repeatedly screwed me over
> the years because you can only set it at SYN time.  This means
> that if you start something out of inetd.conf, you have to set the
> window size before the app even starts (fortunately, Jason added
> options to inetd to do this).  Very ugly.
>
> Changing timestamps and window scaling on the fly would be great!

Just to clarify...  Is it really the window scaling?

My hit is that window scaling is fine.  Just set the default to
something big.  The problem with the current approach is that
turning on window scaling means you need to turn on timestamps
immediatly.  I would rather turn on timestamps (or another such
mechanism) when we need them for PAWS.

Would you have window scaling itself be enabled in the middle of a
connection?  I see that as ugly, I think.

allman

---
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/