Subject: Re: kern/9085: enabling RFC1323 support causes some TCP connectionsto stall
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@grc.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/01/2000 14:35:03
> Since it seems that rfc1323 timestamps and PPP VJ compression are
> at odds with each other it should be more logical to try and do
> something about the problem on the gateway rather than assuming
> that every host behind the gateway is appropriately configured....

What we need is a mechanism for tuning on some "large window
extension" on the fly.  The host **is** the right place to determine
whether we need a "large window extension", as it probes for the
"right" congestion window size anyway.  Gateways **may** know
whether the extensions will be needed in some cases, but I don't
think we can count on such a mechanism in general.

allman

---
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/