Subject: Re: kern/9085: enabling RFC1323 support causes some TCP connectionsto stall
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@logictier.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/28/2000 16:36:35
In message <m12PZfh-000g5eC@most.weird.com>Greg A. Woods writes
>[ On Monday, February 28, 2000 at 13:00:43 (-0500), Mark Allman wrote: ]
>>
>> My hit is that rfc1323 should probably be off by default, but for a
>> different reason than others have stated.
>
>That reminds me of a question I have been stewing over ever since this
>topic was first broached:  Is there any way for a gateway machine to
>effectively turn off the use of rfc1323 on all traffic it handles?

You'd have to rewrite every TCP packet that went past to remove the
timestamp options.  That seems pretty bogus.  It'd also be impossible
to do unless you were *certain* that packets only got out via the gateway.

>It seems to me that it should only be the gateway admin who should have
>to make the decision as to whether or not rfc1323 support will be a
>hinderance on a given pipe....

Why not let the end systems make that determination?  It seems like
they'd have a better idea of round trip times, window sizes, etc.

Kevin
kml@logictier.com