Subject: Re: kern/9085: enabling RFC1323 support causes some TCP connectionsto stall
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org,>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/28/2000 18:33:49
[ On Monday, February 28, 2000 at 13:00:43 (-0500), Mark Allman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: kern/9085: enabling RFC1323 support causes some TCP connectionsto stall
>
> My hit is that rfc1323 should probably be off by default, but for a
> different reason than others have stated.  My argument is that
> typically we don't need rfc1323 support because typically we don't
> send ~128KB of stuff over a TCP connection, so there is no way we
> can build cwnd anywhere near 64KB (i.e., max without rfc1323
> support).  So, why burn the bits on timestamps?  (Especially on low
> bandwidth links).

That reminds me of a question I have been stewing over ever since this
topic was first broached:  Is there any way for a gateway machine to
effectively turn off the use of rfc1323 on all traffic it handles?

It seems to me that it should only be the gateway admin who should have
to make the decision as to whether or not rfc1323 support will be a
hinderance on a given pipe....

--
							Greg A. Woods