Subject: ancillary data alignment and binary backward compatibility
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/27/2000 03:43:39
	ancillary has hardcoded alignment constraint in sys/socket.h.
	since they are hardcoded, there is no way for old binaries to work
	when we change them in the future (though not sure if we need to,
	it is apparent we can't change them at ease).

	- is hardcoded sizeof(long) alignment okay?
	- do we need to change them in the future?
	- suppose we need to change them over time.  what should we do?
	  have a sysctl variable that returns alignment boundary from the
	  kernel side, and let the userland use the value?

itojun