Subject: Re: Setting ipv6 default router without getting a MAC-based ipv6 addr
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/26/2000 18:01:07
>So I have to either (a) have outgoing connections sometimes coming from
>addresses not in the DNS or (b) change my reverse DNS when I switch
>network cards?
>If true, I'd agree, this'll be another way IPv6 will suck bigtime.  I
>don't consider either of those acceptable.

	this is why we need dynamic DNS.  really.
	or, we may be able to use ICMPv6 node information query (ping6 -w)
	for reverse lookup if we can assume gethostname(3) contains FQDN.

	seriously, there has to be some spec/document/whatever that describes
	the relationship between:
	- nomadic clients, i.e. those who change location and do DHCP/v6
	  autoconfig
	- mobile nodes, which uses permanent home address via mobile-ip6
	- dynamic DNS
	they cover the same topic from different aspect/goal/constraint.
	we use some of them in situation A, and some other item in situation B.
	we need a clear guideline on how they interact.  I believe this problem
	is is not just for IPv6, it just made it visible.

itojun