Subject: Re: resolver plans
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/15/2000 16:50:23
itojun@iijlab.net writes:

> 	I believe BIND9 getaddrinfo similarly does not obey nsswitch.conf
> 	(or whatever) search order, since it internally calls getipnodebyname
> 	equivalent function from inside.  Just from code inspection so
> 	I may be wrong...

The "bind9" client-side resolver code is intended to be a reference
implementation only, not to be used as production code.  I should
know, I wrote a fair bit of it.  :)

I'd just look at how the lightweight resolver daemon is called (using
lwres_getaddrinfo() for instance) and put that into libc.  I have
actually done this to some degree, and was getting forward and reverse
lookups from ping6, traceroute6, and ssh with ipv4/v6 support.

--Michael