Subject: Re: v6 question
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/14/2000 11:15:50
	I agree my wording may be heard too restrictive, sorry about that.

>  | 	The IPv6 specification clearly separates routers and hosts.
>  | 	Only hosts are supposed to be autoconfigured.
>This may be just a matter of language, but as I read this, it isn't
>quite correct.   There's nothing about IPv6 that prevents routers
>being autoconfigured.

	RFC2462 page 8 has the following sentence:

>>   Once a node ascertains that its tentative link-local address is
>>   unique, it assigns it to the interface. At this point, the node has
>>   IP-level connectivity with neighboring nodes.  The remaining
>>   autoconfiguration steps are performed only by hosts; the
>>   (auto)configuration of routers is beyond the scope of this document.

	Also, RFC2462 uses "host" to mention autoconfigured node throughout
	the document.  KAME stack implements RFC2462.  As long as we obey
	RFC2462, we can't autoconfigure routers.

	Someone can tackle the problem in revision of RFC2462, or some new
	document :-)

itojun