Subject: Re: v6 question
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/2000 15:12:49
>It is not supposed to work that way.
>Rather, you do NOT put the addresses into the rtadvd.conf file, but just
>ifconfig the devices and let rtadvd discover the new addresses autmatically.
>[Unless you want to do special magic.]

	Yup, rtadvd can autoconfigure itself by querying ifconfig'ed prefixes
	in the kernel by doing SIOCGIFPREFIX_IN6 (basically similar to
	doing SIOCGIFCONF).  you can leave /etc/rtadvd.conf unedited in
	some cases.

>I suspect this is the way a routing daemon would inform rtadvd about address
>changes, or additional prefixes, on an interface.

	Yes, that is the reason.  for example, pkgsrc/net/zebra can configure
	interface address in its configuration file.  The change will be
	reflected into the kenrel and then reflected to rtadvd.

	(I personally try to keep router configuration more static,
	so I don't use this feature much)

itojun