Subject: Re: v6 question
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/2000 13:27:03
>  Nobody is doing v6 yet. (maybe I'm wrong...)

	Well, I know of at least two ISPs which have started serious (I mean,
	not hobby-for-researcher type) IPv6 connectivity services.  I hope
	more ISPs to follow.
	http://www.iij.ad.jp/IPv6/index-e.html
	http://www.trumpet.com.au/

	IPv6 has chicken-and-egg problem I think:
	- ISP will not deploy it until big-router-company ships it
	- big-router-company will not ship it until ISP plans to deploy
	- even if customer asks ISP, most of ISP do not care
	I really hope IPv6 in *BSD to break this rather bad loop.

>  When they do, there shouldn't be a shortage of addresses, and hopefully
>this will mean that they can give us topologically interesting address out of
>some pool they have. If someone solves the multihoming vs aggregation problem
>(like the kid in "Angels on the Field" movie.. "It could happen!"), then
>maybe we can use any allocation with a cable modem.

	Yup, IPv4 multihoming (using portable address) does not work well with
	aggregation-oriented address allocation like IPv4 CIDR blocks and
	whole IPv6 space.  There are couple of proposals in IETF ipng/ngtrans,
	which I love to test it and hear more opinions/comments.

itojun