Subject: Re: v6 question
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/2000 09:46:15
>    > 	The IPv6 specification clearly separates routers and hosts.
>  Does this apply on a machine or interface basis?

	per machine I would say.  Noone is doing it in per-interface basis.

>    > 	Only hosts are supposed to be autoconfigured.
>    > 	The specification prohibits autoconfiguration of routers.
>  I'd think that the very common case of having an autoconfigured "external"
>address (PPPoE, ADSL, SDSL, CableModem) and a manually configured internal
>address (your IPv6 block, which you advertise to your provider via an IGP)
>would be pretty common in the future. (No NAT required, of course)

	Is your "external" network shared medium, or p2p? (I'm novice about
	what PPPoE look like)  If p2p, you do not need global address for
	external network.  If you have link-local address on external
	interface, route6d can exchange route just fine.
	Even if it is shared medium, if you have no neighbor other than
	router on external interface, route6d may work without global address
	(not tested recently but should be okay).

	For internal address, apparently you don't need to/want to reconfigure.

itojun