Subject: Re: pppoe
To: Eric Hochmeister <elhochme@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/30/2000 23:14:14
>> I was curious if there are any active scripts/apps which enable the
>> use of pppoe?
> der Mouse has a somewhat cheesy (no offense, Mouse--you said as much
> yourself, and mine's no better! :)) implementation that sort of
> works.  But I've found it something of a hassle to use, given that
> the provider I was using it with seems to dump the connection fairly
> often.

The biggest problems with it, I believe, are that (1) it runs in
user-land, thus making each packet cross the userland/kernel boundary
twice more than it should and copying it several times too many, and
(2) it is poorly-to-not-at-all integrated with pppd, meaning it can't
leverage all the existing pppd machinery like the stuff behind the
demand and persist options.

I keep meaning to change those two characteristics, but so far haven't
gotten around to it - they look like a bit of work.

> If Mouse doesn't mind I can pass it along.

I don't mind at all; you're welcome to pass it along to anyone you
please.  Or if you prefer, you can direct people to me.  I can't recall
whether I've touched my copy since sending it to you...I last touched
my version Nov 18, according to the timestamps.  MD5 checksums:

722556b746dcf7e5ddf9b2866d40d209 pppoe.c
6d2454d57197b591bca666495fa1f48b pppoe.h

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca