Subject: Re: a remote user can check promiscuous mode
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/19/2000 21:39:37
atatat@atatdot.net said:
> the problem as i understood it was that a packet with a unicast
> hardware address (not of my machine) but a broadcast ip address (no,
> not normal, but certainly manufacturable, and certainly matching me)
> will (a) be picked up by the card, (b) passed up to the upper layers
> and (c) responded to

The driver must do the appropriate checks that (b) doesn't
happen. By checking some bit of the receive status if the
card is a more intelligent one, or by bcmp()ing the ethernet
header itself with conventional chips.
I'm not voting for removing this check (which is done correctly
in most drivers afais) - I'm just telling that the check
is not driver independant and therefore shouldn't be done
in ether_input().

best regards
Matthias