Subject: Re: Layer-2 socket proposal
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/13/2000 09:26:55
> LAYER-2 SOCKETS USER API:
> -------------------------
>
> Newly Defined Socket Options:
>
>         L2_EXCLUSIVE, int (bool)
>                 If true then when a frame is sent to the socket it
>                 considered delivered and processing stops.  Otherwise
>                 the frame is eligible for other sockets or layer-3
>                 processing.

I've been thinking about this one for a while, and I think the default
is backwards.

The intent is to allows users to implement network services over layer
2, and not to be a packet intereceptor or snooper.  The current default
of being non-exclusive is more useful to the sniffer than the network
services provider.

Therefore I'd like to change L2_EXCLUSIVE to L2_NONEXCLUSIVE and fix up
the logic as appropriate

        L2_NONEXCLUSIVE, int (bool)
                If false (the default) then a frame is considered
                delivered when it is sent to an l2 socket.  Otherwise
                the frame is also eligible to be sent to other sockets
                and for layer-3 processing.

Thanks,
Chris.