Subject: Re: systat(1) change for IPv6
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andy Doran <ad@mr-magoo.sports.gov.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2000 12:41:34
On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >:	Is it okay if I change:
> >:	- "inet.ip" into "ip",
> >:	- "inet.icmp" into "icmp",
> >:	- "inet.tcp" into "tcp",
> >:	- "inet.tcpsyn" into "tcpsyn" ?
> >They were initially as that but were changed to have "inet." prefix.
> >Problem was that "tcp" is a shortcut in netstat mode, so a global "tcp"
> >made the netstat mode shortcut impossible to use.
>
> 	understood.  a bit ugly, but how about it?
> 	- "inet.ip" into "ip",
> 	- "inet.icmp" into "icmp",
> 	- "inet.tcp" into "tcpstat",	<-- changed
> 	- "inet.tcpsyn" into "tcpsyn" ?
> 	- "inet6" (new)
> 	- "ipsec" (new)
> 	- "icmp6" (new)
> 	(anyway commands are not very consistent, like "mbufs" and "vmstat")

Hmm - this is a difficult one. If we add more commands to systat(1) in
future, we're going to run into this problem again and renaming commands
to make it fit won't be feasible. 'tcpstat' gives me the creeps, too.
Perhaps it would be best to pass some context to the help command, ala
gdb(1), for example (albeit not thought out):

	usage: help {sys,inet,inet6}