Subject: Re: requirements for router
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: None <Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/05/2000 09:30:24
My router to the internet is a 386sx16 with 8MB of memory (it used to
only have 5MB). My connection to the net is a V.90 modem rather than an
ethernet card, so CPU performance isn't much of an issue for me. I do
run NAT on this box.

I can easily transfer 500MB to 1GB per month through this box. Game
demos are so large these days.

The CPU has to work hard to handle a full V.90 load, but I think things
are well balanced at the moment. Your Pentiums should be able to handle
peak throughput of 10Mb/s is that is what you want.

I will have to plug in my 386sx25 and see if that lifts the data rate
any. Come to think of it, I should try sticking two ethernet cards in a
386 and see what throughput I can get.

Cheers
--
Lloyd Parkes, Network Manager, School of Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington