Subject: Re: RFC1933 IPv4 mapped address
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/20/1999 12:13:52
> 	I'm favor of disabling it (allow enabling it by sysctl, or completely
> 	disable it).  Opinions/suggestions?

I agree that the mapped addresses are problematic/ugly (and I'd be
happy to weigh in on that side of the argument on an appropriate
working group mailing list..)..  but there's a higher-level issue
here..  "Standard is better than better".

Unless there's a *really* good reason for it, I think our stack should
behave by default as specified.

We should definitely provide knobs to change this (and the two-level
approach of sysctl and socket option seems exactly right for this),
and our apps (e.g., inetd) might use these knobs to change to a more
sensible behavior, but unless/until the *spec* is changed to adjust
the default behavior, we will likely cause more portability problems
in the long run by not behaving according to the standard..

					- Bill