Subject: Re: RFC1933 IPv4 mapped address
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/19/1999 23:59:01
>>if you're doing a bind to an INET6 socket and using an appropriately
>>sized sockaddr in the accept call, can't you just check the ipv6
>>address in the resulting sockaddr via the IN6_IS_ADDR_V4MAPPED() macro
>>(from rfc2133, and superceded by rfc2553)?
>>
>>then your application could "know" that it got an ipv4 connection and
>>drop it.
>
>	do you think you can mandate the above check for every applications?
>	i don't think so...

certainly one cannot mandate it, no, but if someone's using ipv6
sockets...can't we expect them to know that ipv4 mapped addresses
exist?  and what they are?  and how to check for them easily?  the rfc
does provide the macros for a reason...

if not...then imho the rfc was written wrong, since it's apparently a
"feature" that no one wants.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|