Subject: Re: Multiple 0.0.0.0/0 routes
To: Ola Eriksson <email@dreamland.udd.net>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/14/1999 23:42:50
> Could someone please shatter some light in my clouded routing environment?
> What behavior is correct ? Why does Linux do this and not BSD ?
> Some information and explination, and might some URL's with some good
> information would be VERY appriciated!

It is my understanding that Linux now supports multiple routes to a
destination (often referred to as multipath routing).  Multipath routing
is more powerful, but that doesn't make BSD less ``correct'', just less
powerful.

The reason Linux does it and BSD doesn't is because people are actively
overhauling the linux routing code and no-one seems to have stepped up
to do the same with NetBSD (*BSD whatever..).  There are many people
(including myself) that would love to do this but don't have the time.

Chris.