Subject: Re: An approach for detachable interfaces.
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/05/1999 15:52:42
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else besides Jonathan who
> thinks that allowing for hot-swap replacement of a removed, possibly
> failed, interface with a card with a different MAC address is
> fundamentally broken.

  I don't think that he's arguing that providing that functionality is
fundamentally broken.  But a straightforward implementation of that
functionality leads to headaches when you want to do the replacement, have the
new card be considered the same interface as the old, but provide new
parameters to this interface upon presentation of the new card.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/