Subject: Re: PR-7148 (causes kernel panic)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/28/1999 09:05:09
On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 03:15:59PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Needing to re-compile kernel grovvelers isn't too bad. But I'm worried
> about libc. I'm not sure what the standard procedure is here - do we bump
> the minor #?

This is not part of an exported interface, it internal to one function
(in function:
struct if_nameindex *if_nameindex(void);
src/lib/libc/net/ifname.c
)

> > Other things that need to be recompiled:
> > route
> > routed
> > rwhod
> > gifconfig
> > route6d
> > rtadvd
> > rtsold
> >
> > Is this a real issue ? I'm not sure versioning is straitforward in this case.
>
> We don't need to version the grovvelers, I think. But I wonder some about
> libc.

These aren't grovelers. They use either sysctl or the routing socket
to retreive 'struct if_msghdr *' data.
What would need versioning here are the sysctl MIB and the routing socket
message. It can be done, I just wonder if it's usefull.