Subject: Re: 802.1Q tagged VLAN for NetBSD
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/08/1999 09:10:24
On 8 Oct 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

> I've poked around at the idea of supporting 802.1Q tagged VLAN
> interfaces for NetBSD, but have yet to get very far past thinking
> about it.

Same here (aside from defining ETHERTYPE_VLAN :).

> I believe the best way is to once again broach the subject
> of subinterfaces, where there is a parent "physical" interface and any
> number of children which have only per-logical-link attributes.

FreeBSD's 'vlan' interface does something similiar - have you looked at
the code? AFAIK, the userland code never got committed, but following from
your example would do something like:

ifconfig vlan0 inet 10.1.2.3 netmask 0xffffff00 vlan 42 vlanif fxp0

> Another thing I would love to get going is the concept of bonded
> interfaces, where an address can be used on multiple interfaces.  Say,
> two 100baseTX-FDX interfaces bonded into a single trunk, going to a
> switch.

Cool :). I'd love to see this happening.

We're far from it right now, but just to note that it'd be nice if there
was a tool to asssociate tags with something more meaningful, like the
VLAN name or whatever.

- ad