Subject: RE: Wireless LAN - options?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/01/1999 11:12:22
At 10:40 PM -0700 9/30/99, Martin Husemann wrote:
>I don't understand the topology. What I need is two LAN's in two buildings
>sepearated by a street to be bridged together. There's a NetBSD server on
>each LAN, can I put one of these cards in each and be done? Or can I use one
>"wavepoint" on each side to build the bridge?
>
>Are there any other viable alternatives? Laser based ones? (I have 20 meters
>and clear sight, it's usually not that foggy here.)

Seems like there are lots of solutions.  Just a matter of if you're willing
to pay what they cost.  The Lucent/Apple-AirPort solution is what everyone
is currently thinking about.  What you have is not a stressful environment.
I think I saw some 1 Mbit solutions that would run a mile with unobstructed
view and still didn't need an FCC license a couple of years ago.

Try looking at http://hydra.carleton.ca/info/wlan.html for information.