Subject: Re: Wireless LAN - options?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/01/1999 11:14:59
On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 07:40:31AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Sorry, I'm a newbie in this area: the Web page talks about 2MBit - is there
> any option for 11MBit (as others refering to IEEE 802.11 talk about 11MBit)?

802.11 is the protocol used to share the "medium" I think, it's not the speed.
I think their new "turbo" boards will do 11Mb/s, but the ones I have only
do 2.

> I don't understand the topology. What I need is two LAN's in two buildings
> sepearated by a street to be bridged together. There's a NetBSD server on
> each LAN, can I put one of these cards in each and be done? Or can I use one
> "wavepoint" on each side to build the bridge?

I'm not sure 2 wavepoint will work, but maybe (I'm not the one who bough
the hardware, so I don't have much infos). One at one end and a a router
will definitively work.
If these are sensible data you may want to use some encryption on this link
so using 2 NetBSD boxes may be convenient.

You may also certainly want to get some antena for the boards (at this is
not a mobile installation it's not a problem), you will have a better
signal so less errors.

> Are there any other viable alternatives? Laser based ones? (I have 20 meters
> and clear sight, it's usually not that foggy here.)

Maybe laser is a good idea, this could give you better bandwidth and
less errors. I don't know.