Subject: Re: interface configuration other than "ifconfig" in rc.conf
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/1999 10:31:55
On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 10:36:26PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	Some people requested an addition of addition of something like:
> 		gifconfig_gif0="inet 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2"
> 	in /etc/rc.conf, for invoking gifconfig from /etc/netstart.
> 	(this is for IPv6 tunnel setup)
>
> 	Now /usr is mounted before /etc/netstart starts, it is possible to
> 	do this, and it may be useful for making administration process easier.
>
> 	However - do we need similar thing for other network configrations,
> 	like gre (greconfig) or wi (wiconfig)?   If so, what is the best
> 	framework to define these random things in rc.conf? (or maybe
> 	we can ask people to put it into /etc/netstart.local...)
>
> itojun

The problem with putting wiconfig in /etc/netstart.local is that it may
be necessary (and in my setup, it is necessary) to run wiconfig *before*
any ifconfig of the wi interface.  (Or, at least before DHCP can be used
over the interface)

I think we do need a general-purpose mechanism for doing this, but I haven't
given much thought for what it is.  :)

+j
--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz