Subject: Re: DECnet for NetBSD
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/24/1999 01:55:12
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Matt Thomas wrote:

> Having to change N driver(s) to support changing the Ethernet MAC address
> is something I was/am not looking forward to.

This is more or less a basic capability present in most cards that
we should be able to make use of, however. I started looking at
changes to ifconfig to add the capability to set the MAC address
for an interface, but dropped it due to lack of time.

One good reason for having multiple MAC addresses on an interface
is to do failover: ideally you want to be able to configure your
interface to use the other machine's MAC address as well as IP
address when you detect that the other machine is down. Unfortunately,
I have no idea how one would make sure one's using the correct
outgoing MAC address based on the outgoing IP address...

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org