Subject: Re: DECnet for NetBSD
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Patrick Caulfield <patrick@sco.COM>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/20/1999 08:41:06
On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 08:27:20AM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> At 02:18 AM 8/19/99 , Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> >If someone can port the kernel bits from Linux to NetBSD (this will also require
> >'porting' the licence from GPL to BSD but Steve Whitehouse has already consented
> >to this) then I'll do the userland programs...promise.
>
> Actually, I'm about 1/2 way through my own Phase IV implementation (endnode, LAN
> only) and have been for a year or so.  I never finished it since no one had ever
> seemed interested in DECnet.  I even have a working ncp.  I also have
> DECnet-ULTRIX compatible libdnet library.
>
> The kernel API is also compatible with DECnet-ULTRIX so that COMPAT_ULTRIX could
> do the right thing as well.

Sounds good to me. If you have anything even half working I'd be pleased to
look at it and start porting the user programs.

In case you don't know (and there's no reason why you should) I've been working
on DECnet for linux for 18 months now and have a fairly complete set of user
tools including phone, mail, copy, fal and an RMS library (though the latter
works it still needs some refining). Co-incidentally I don't have NCP! I'd
really like to see this stuff working on NetBSD too as NetBSD is the only
OS that runs on all my computers.

See http://linux.dreamtime.org/decnet for more info and source.

It sounds like we have the start of a working system.

Patrick