Subject: Re: Making IPV6 go
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/23/1999 00:54:33
> > I find it pretty annoying that ifconfig, netstat, etc. all return address
> > which are quite bogus.  Those are the fe80:n:: ones.
>Are you sure it's not something arm32 specific?  Alignment problems on
>the arm32 cause the data to be incorrect; it doesn't cause a fault.

	As documented in inet6(4) and src/sys/netinet6/IMPLEMENTATION,
	KAME embeds interface index into link-local address in the kernel.
	admin commands like "netstat -rn" or "ifconfig" will see the
	embedded form (which is never transmitted on the wire).

	We may better hide interface index portion from the user, but
	in that case we'll need to change some of command line syntax,
	for example route(8):
	# route add -inet6 default fe80::a:b:c:d -interface x
	(usually -interface is not allowed when destination is specified,
	I believe...)

itojun