Subject: Re: Making IPV6 go
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/21/1999 21:05:35
> I have an arm32 box with the ipv6 stuff compiled in now.  However, it doesn't
> seem to interoperate with a linux box with their ipv6 mods.

Apologies if this is obvious, it wasn't to me when I started.  What I
did was:

*) edit /etc/rtadvd.conf and added a line for "de1" (my "inside"
   interface) modeled after the ef0 example in the sample file.  I
   used address fec0:: . This should go on the main router if you have
   one.

*) on the router
	sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1
	sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0

*) on the clients:
   	sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=0
	sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1

*) start rtadvd on the router.

*) run rtsol on all the machines.  This will set an alias address for
   the interfaces and setup a default route pointing to the router.

   I cheated and ran this on the router too.  I didn't want to set the
   alias address by hand and have to duplicate the rtadvd.conf config
   line in a different file. I temporarily turned on accept_rtadv as such:

   	sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1
	rtsol de1
      	sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0

   (What is the "approved" way of doing this???)

*) Now one should be able to ping the fec0:: address of all the ipv6
   hosts.  I've got 4 netbsd/i386 ipv6 machines here and they all ping
   and I can ssh-ipv6 to all the ipv6 addresses.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/